Monday, 28 September 2026

#BlogLife1141 - Chatty Chicks Watching Flicks 29 - My Mad Fat Diary

As I'm rewatching this again and Reddit likes to delete newcomers opinions for having too lil Karma.

I'll just write my own take. I didn't watch this or know about it when it first came out..

I don't think. Maybe a few years ago I watched it for the first time and it was eerily accurate.

A portrayal of a plump teenage girl who didn't fit in, had a troubled home life, an issue with food and low to zero confidence.

I didn't realise that the snide bestie was played by Jodie Comer. I knew she looked familiar but didn't know why..

Anyway it's wonderfully acted and I'm glad they got a cast that looked young and a lead that had meat on her bones and not just a size 12 wailing about her figure.

Heaps better. My heavens the bestie is so relatable. Outwardly appearing confident and supportive but inwardly self doubting..

And instead of confessing. Yea at times, I feel out of place too..

She throws Rae to the wolves, time and time again.. I had that too, until I stopped engaging..

She assumed making me look bad, made her look good but people always flocked to me for opinions, so she basically alienated me for nothing..

Anyway back to the show. Wait let me wash off the mud mask and cleanse my face first...

Ok back. I'll never understand why Archie pursued her, kissed her, implied he fancied her.

Instead of just confessing.. Look I have a secret, Keep it to yourself. I feel like we've bonded away from the group..

But I'm questioning myself... Even just saying, can we practice kissing to see how it makes me feel?

Hell anything would have been better to someone socially awkward who is clearly inexperienced too..

She's been nothing but nice to you. You exploited her crush..

Hmm Kester, the unconventional therapist. I like him but an abundance of boundary crossing..

Kiss on the cheek, giving his home phone number.

A show without mobiles, crazy.. and 16yr olds, drinking alcohol. Weird..

Now Rae and Finn, the love interest. I liked him and didn't at the same time..

He didn't really fight for her but they seem unfinished.  I hope they reconcile..

But the other thing is.. Cripes you must have guessed she's inexperienced, has confidence issues and instead of taking it slowly..

Or reassuring her. I fancy you and I like this, that about you..

Intimacy just kept coming up

..To me he should have confronted her more and said.. I know something is up and I want to be there for you..

He was too laid back, waiting to bump into her in person,  squeezing a brief chat in and knowing they'd get interrupted by the group..

The new guy Liam.. Hmm not a fan. It's like he's pretending nothing fazes him..

The risk taking and wrecklessness, it's gonna catch up..

Aww so Tix died. I was hoping she recovered. I liked their friendship and Two hat guy, Danny :)

Hmm the controversial bit. Rae accusing Archie of being a phony and ladding it up, to fit in, while she swallowed her identity to also fit in with popular mean girls..

There was another way she could have confronted Archie and his girlfriend..

She could have told the guy.. You're not his type, he likes tall ones..

Instead of outing him and saying He's gay. I think that's pretty unforgivable. It's not your place to reveal that.

If he wants to blend in, until he's ready. That's his business, not yours!

I really didn't like her in that moment. Oh and also the Tix dinner, abandoning her, knowing how important eating was...

Pretty heartless, schedule it, on a day, you don't have a conflicting outing..

Aww so she and Finn did reconcile and then her moving away became an obstacle.

She should have pulled him aside and said, I need to talk. I'm unsure of what to do, can you be neutral for a second..

Discuss whether it be long distance whether you can move nearby..

Or whether we will break up. It's a bit rough to say, pick me or a career...

And yea it was stupid to be manic, pushing your friends to go out, when they should be studying, all because you're having boyfriend issues..

The cheating hmm? I mean the real issue is the bad communicating and pushing people away, living in your head on self destruct mode.

How long are people supposed to be patient with you? It felt an unsatisfying ending but at the same time, good for her, going away and maybe getting a fresh start from people, who don't know her past..

A fun rewatch with the up and downness. I do recommend it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D