Saturday 5 December 2020

Downside to comping! Update

Today I should be happy. I got a notification that I won a prize. Sounds good right? I thought so too but I am dealing with some piece of work... 

They inspired me to write this post. First the ambiguous message. "Confirm the listing on my site before I certify the prize has expired."

Someone translate because was that even English? I was scratching my head thinking. What am I supposed to do. I just went and wrote I think I've won but I'm not sure how to claim.

The suspicious thing is that person didn't reply to my message but kept responding via messenger. I don't know if it is even a legitimate reply.

I'm not used to jumping through hoops just to claim a simple prize. Next I get an immediate response. "I'm not forcing you to take the gift. Unfortunately you are the winner. The opportunity will only come once for one person."

WTF!!! All I asked was how to claim. Next the person says register on the site I list. When I click on the link, my security says warning do not go to that site.

I unblock out of curiosity and it is a spam site. I tell the person it will not let me sign up and so I am doing it through Google.

The person seems agitated. I am so fed up at this point. I don't even want the thing. They keep saying follow my instructions.....

After I register then I have to send proof of it via a screenshot! (I'm literally banging my head against the wall at this point). A message says, you are already registered.

I don't know if I have previously or not. No confirmation comes through but that could be because it is the weekend. Then I get told Customer Services will contact me about the prize after I have sent the screenshot.

My last frustrated. annoyed, murderous reply is that..... If I get an email. I will send all the information you want but so far nothing has happened.

I hate this part of comping. Either the host of the giveaway doesn't reply at all unless you threaten with the comping regulators.

Or they make you go through a million steps each fraught with difficulty! I've experienced all of it and it stresses me out. I've also not received prizes which isn't nice but for small items. I don't care at all.

I just think it's disgusting for promoters to offer prizes that they have no intention of handing out. It's also hard to know who to trust with spam so widely targeted.

I shall update here or on Twitter. Right now I am going to relax and watch Ramo :) I decided to call up the host of the competition to avoid any further complications and get answers.

The lovely woman I spoke to was completely shocked and told me that is not how they respond to potential winners and she wanted screenshots and as much information as I could remember.

I just compiled it all and sent it. I'm quite gutted not to have won a hamper after all but these things happen and I trust my instincts.

She said she would get back to me but there is no need even Facebook has flagged it as suspicious. I hope noone else got taken for a ride.

Oh well back to legitimate comping....... :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D