Thursday 29 June 2023

#BlogLife526 - How do know when you're finished writing?

3-5 is probably the most posts that I've ever had lined up to publish as drafts.

Some feel done, I'm happy with the length, content and I feel like the subject is closed.

Other times I will start it off and conclude that part and leave it for later because I have nothing else to add on.

In the mornings usually my brain is chattering away and biding it's time until I switch on the laptop and relay it.

A few times I will think, alright I've said it all, it feels complete and I can move on to another project.

Then during this pause, it feels like my brain is tapping my shoulder and saying, wait a minute, there's more....

And then it resumes talking and then I'm thinking shoot, I'm in the kitchen, I'm grabbing a snack or a refill and when I'm back, I had every intention of publishing today's ramble but now I can't.

The exception is, if I feel it's wrapped up neatly and it's long, then I might split it into a new post and carry on.

I do have to battle the lethargy, which means all of me is exhausted and I can't focus because all I want to do is rest, not think.

Plus I need to be able to organise efficiently my time because I don't want to be stuck writing all day, I have other things to do.

I skim read it afterwards and that's why there are times when I miss some obvious corrections because my mind is already on the next task.

Very few times I will remove a paragraph but I might stop myself from making an addition if I don't think it's relevant.

I might save it for the next post. Blogging can be messy with thoughts scattered here and there, I don't think it's perfect.

It can look pretty and edited professionally, however it doesn't have to be accurate all the time because it's subjective.

You might agree or disagree with a particular sentence and that's great, we're all different.

Or it can be muddled as long as there is a distinctive voice coming out of it, that you understand and makes you passionate to hear more.

Other times it will come up short and several breaks later, obscure thoughts will drift in..

Did I remember to talk abut this? Have I added the follow up information?

If my mind is totally blank, then I might close the page and cast it aside for a while and think, maybe there won't be a post today because nothing is coming together.

Trust your gut because you can always change it later.

As for composing fiction that's a lot harder. Lately I feel like I have to be totally de-stressed and empty of obligations before I can concentrate.

In the past I've written pages and pages until I can't see straight anymore and have to pass out.

But nowadays I have to be in this calm zone and will write in small pieces until I feel empty and then I'll stop, take a breather and probably nap.

Then when I'm alert and my mind is sharper I move on to something more pressing.

I don't usually get back to fiction later that day because the mood has passed and I can't get that enthusiasm back.

The temperature has dropped significantly and today was the first day in ages that I put on the heated blankie because my back keeps paining me and I thought I would nap but I've been working on this post all day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D