Wednesday 28 October 2020

Keyboard fried?

My Lenovo ideapad laptop is quite a few years old. I bought it from Amazon and have had very few problems aside from replacing the charger.

Last night I shut it down as usual and when I tried it today. Unusually the *Num lock* key was stuck lit up. I couldn't press it off.

I didn't really think anything of it but suddenly certain letters wouldn't show on screen like *y* and *t* The *backspace/delete* key wouldn't erase anything.

I was so confused as to why it was acting strangely. I hadn't done anything differently. I don't think I accidentally alerted some mysterious setting. 

I had to use my phone and Google it. Plus use the onscreen keyboard to take off the *Num lock* as an expert suggested.

I did and it turned off but it refused to turn back on so there is an issue there. 

Uninstalling the keyboard was an option I tried and then reinstalled it on the Lenovo site which didn't fair any better as was running the troubleshooter. 

Last step I am trying is system restore. I don't have a spare keyboard and this usually solves my issues as a last resort because it takes ages to complete.

I had to tweet from the mobile today and lunch was decidedly cold when I got around to eating it. 

The laptops restarting a bunch of times so I hope it's almost finished. I only set it to revert back to yesterday as it was working appropriately then. 

Wish me luck. I have things to do, of which are delayed due to this headache. Grr!

I really don't want to use the onscreen keyboard. I also gave it a good clean just incase there was too much dust. 

Shoot. The *Num lock* key is back to being illuminated and won't turn off. Delete key not working still. Ffs.

Next I tried editing the registry and put zero in the data field which is supposed to disable it at startup. Failed too. 

I wonder if my Function keys are off? There has to be some simple action I'm oblivious to. 

I tried going ino bios mode and then disabling hotkey mode. No joy. 

I need to try booting in safe mode apparently to see if it works as normal in that way.  They actually aren't working. *t* and *y* *delete* *num lock*

Really perplexing me now having to highlight, right click and delete errors. 

I just made sure the language keyboard is only set to UK as sometimes it switches to USA and one person said that was their fix. 

Actually USA is still appearing as an option. I can't seem to delete it and I'm too tired. 

To be continued tomorrow.. 

I refuse to believe it's beyond repair. I jus discovered that *caps lock* isn't working and left shift isn't either.

Ugh! Too much stressyness for me, the non techie!! 

Any experts out there who know all the answers? 

I rang up the Lenovo technical support team and he said because the onscreen keyboard works it's a hardware issue and did I want to send it to Germany for repairs? 

Ummm... Nopity! Or I should buy a new keyboard or repair it. Nah. I bought this one November 2015, so it has served me the longest and fairly well. 

I will replace it if I have to but first I will exhaust all my options. At least I can say I tried everything afterwards. 

I'll do a bit more reading and then reset it probably or restore it again. I didn't want to lose my files or settings though. 

I really don't need the expense of a new laptop. 

Final update, I reset Windows and kept my files as a last resort and 5 hours ish later. I found out, it didn't work! I will buy a new one soonish.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D