Thursday 6 May 2021

#BlogLife45 - My first day

Evening scribblers :)

My first day as a volunteer is over. Oops did I mention I got the job? Lol. Well now you know. I found out this afternoon. I was refreshing my emails all day and up it popped.

My approval in writing. I was thrilled. I think most of my nerves had left me and I created a draft cheat sheet, to remind myself of the rules and chat etiquette.

But honestly? I rocked it! Sorry to sound arrogant but no one else pays attention so I have to validate myself where possible. I was trying to share the news with my family...

They just could not care less. My voice was chirpy and upbeat. Did they not notice a big difference? But it was a few mutters of.."What is this now? Oh. Okay then."

I just ignored it and refused to let it get to me. Noone was going to dampen my spirit. Not today. I felt too good and even though it was a rocky start with technical issues..

It ended on a definite high note. I got really sweet feedback and I know that I helped these people feel less stressed out. I knew I could do it.

I excelled at it. At first I wasn't sure what to say and then it just poured out of me. I'm not an expert or perfect but it was damn good for my first day.

There is no magic script. I was winging it. I related to some of them but I didn't overshare. As you know. I'm more the audience, rather than the participator :D

It was somewhat exhausting but afterwards I spoke to my own helper and it turned out to be her first day also. We connected and had a giggle, while maintaining confidentiality.

Now I am completely detaching from it, until tomorrow, where it begins again. The only drawbacks are that, at times I have to bite my tongue and not give advice.

Also there is persistent flirting which is really horrible and stressful. I got some advice today which was set boundaries and maintain professionalism.

Which I was already doing but for now. I cannot speak to another male. My goal is to remain friendly and polite and it is soooo difficult when someone is relentlessly picking you up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D