Thursday 30 September 2021

#BlogLife141 - Pepe Le Pew - Poet or pest?

Pretty much like all or most of you, I grew up on cartoons. They were silly lighthearted entertainment away from the news and lame game shows.

Although catchphrase, wheel of fortune, those wordy types were fun for me to guess. Especially the kookie, cheesy hosts but they were harmless.

Maybe because I play Looney Tunes daily and I was chatting to a fellow gamer that I looked up Pepe Le Pew cartoons. I wanted to share a goofy clip.

However as I was reading the comment section it was full of outrage that the plans are to have the character banned. It got me thinking about my childhood.

I get that cartoons are not supposed to be taken literal with all the violence and such forth but I also see it from both sides. 

I'm sure it was hilarious but the undertones seemed a lil cringey for kids.

Children are impressionable. I'm not saying they copy everything they see blindly. I'm saying certain things linger and is stored away for later.

I can't recall exactly which one it was but I'm sure that Penelope the love interest, who was just an ordinary cat and not a skunk was captured.

She was locked up somewhere and Pepe was trying to get her to return his persistent affection. That one I thought....Hmmmm.

That's kinda creepy over the top for a kids cartoon. I felt a lil uneasy and my stomach turned. 

I wondered if this is where men are taught to chase women and not take no for an answer.

Because somewhere out there, men are being told to keep pestering women until they are worn down and petrified enough that they either can't refuse or just will say anything to be left alone.

I speak from a vast lot of experience. I refuse to say Look, I'm married, back off, as an excuse to get rid of them. 

I'm not married but that seems like the only way to shake them off.

Look at my face, my body language. I'm not playing hard to get, giggling or being coy. 

I'm legitimately afraid of being followed home!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D