Monday 12 February 2024

#BlogLife639 - The price of veganism

I've just sampled the first of the vegan meals that I am supplementing my snacks with.

It's by Birds Eye, southern fried chicken grills. I never really read the cooking times, the writing is too small or not legible for me.

Normally the standard is twenty minutes from frozen. This however was too much, maybe fifteen would have been better because it's a lil hard and dry.

Oh the price for two smallish fillets is £2.70 which I guess isn't bad.

You definitely need a sauce with it, I'm using the onion and garlic dip and it's lush.

Onto the taste? It's absolutely delicious, I can't pinpoint particular flavours but to me, it's like a weak taste of chicken.

Some people when they search for alternates don't want that taste but I find I do because I still enjoy it, but in less quantities.

I would recommend it, it's plant based and none of the ingredients stand out for me so I won't list them but this is a great substitute for chicken.

I'm happy I bought it and it's not a waste of money, phew.

Next up was the Quorn chicken and bacon lattice vegetarian, which when I first saw bacon I thought no, yuck pork.

Then realised duh, it's vegan silly, ha so I added it to the basket.

And Mama reminded me that of course they are showcasing these new products because it is Veganuary.

I totally forgot, anyway, I cooked it for about 22 minutes and that was perfect and left it to settle.

The pastry is crunchy and soft, the filling is creamy with small chunks of faux chicken and bacon and it is delicious.

It's not dry and needs no sauce because it's moist enough. I loved it.

I'm so pleased that now they are seasoning these non meat foods properly, instead of before where they couldn't be bothered.

It's make a huge difference. Another winning product for me and I hope hope hope that it's not just temporary, that it is out permanently because I would get it regularly.

The cost was £2.65 for 2 smallish mediumish pies. I keep getting midnight cravings so I'm not eating enough in the day but I don't feel that hungry at the moment.

However I don't like eating late either and Oh my, the outer coating of the microwave literally just fell off.

I really need to replace it as soon as possible now, oof that is a big expense.

More reviews this time for real chicken, let's mix it up a bit lol. I bought Blue Dragons sweet and sour chicken with sauce..

I normally buy the big bag version but I didn't want that much, in case I hated it.

It's £4 which isn't the cheapest and normally it's sweet and sour balls, not strips.

I cooked it for 15 minutes and was so surprised at the result. The sauce which is normally stupidly salty or sweet or spicy was deliciously mild.

It had spice because my lips tingled but I loved that it was understated.

The strips were abundant I didn't count them but it was enough for 2 portions.

They were wonderfully seasoned so even without the sauce, it tasted like a sweet and sour meal, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

There was a large sachet of sauce that was enough. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Alright for now, one last foodie review before I forget. I think I was the most excited but apprehensive about trying this.

I put it off until yesterday. The brand is No Bull, not sure I have heard of it.

2 ultimate burgers it was called for £2.50 but they are more like quarter pounders.

It's a firm patty, the first bite was moist, I could tell it wasn't meat but it was pleasant, I can't tell you what the flavour was.

I couldn't work it out but on the subsequent tastes, it almost seemed meat-like.

Maybe I'm going crazy and my taste buds are obsessed with meat and chicken so pretending that it tastes the same..

But these are all obvious fakes, that I thoroughly enjoyed and would purchase them all again.

What I noticed was that after all of these meals, I didn't think ugh, I am fed up with it, like I do with the chicken and beef and salmon.

I think, dang, it's so moreish I could easily eat some more. I really thought I was going to hate everything.

But now I am more open to it. Am I really going off meat and chicken and fish??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D