Tuesday 21 March 2023

#BlogLife472 - Am I a saucy fem?

How is that for a spicy title? Actually I'm only referring to condiments. Do I partake?

Generally I don't. I'm not on a fixed diet as such but I try to be aware of additional salt/sugar products that I don't need to add to my meals or snacks.

If I could find something that was healthy to compliment a dish, I would but aside from hummus, everything that I have sampled, even the low calories options taste revolting.

I don't want to ruin my dishes just to shave off some calories, I want to enjoy it but know that sometimes, it's a good alternative.

Caesar salad dressing, mayonnaise, ketchup and sweet chilli sauce, even though I'm not big on pepper, were my go to favourites.

There was something else that I adored. Vegetarian pakoras with the cucumber mint raita dip.

I don't actually know if it has cucumber ha, sorry. I know that it is yoghurt, mint and I'm not sure what else.

Some add cumin, some add spices, according to Googly woogly.

I always preferred it over the red tamarind dip, (ginger and cumin).

I've tried the chicken pakoras and although tasty, the vegetarian version is just that much nicer.

If you are wondering what pakoras are, they are a fried dish with onions, potato, flour, spices and herbs.

I grew up with it and although I preferred the wraps, somehow we always came away with simple pakoras and made them give us stacks of sauce because it is inside a tiny tub and they are very mean with it.

On the other side of the counter, usually there is desserts, like gulab jamuns, sweet syrupy balls of goodness.

It's milk based with flour and again fried and then coated in syrup, very very sweet but delicious in small doses.

I don't really know the names. There is one like fudge or toffee, that is not as hard but isn't too soft either.

I'm not sure if that is Burfi/Barfi? Sorry I am just not knowledge and the fact that they have the same name Mithai, makes it that much more complex :D

I'm rambling I know. My point is that I have just bought the supermarket alternative to a raita with yoghurt and mint.

I'm not sure if it's going to be spicy though or even in stock because the shop one, definitely had a kick to it.

I'm hoping it doesn't or if so, just something mild. I'm just really missing some sauce at the moment, so I'm going with my cravings.

I'll let you know what it tastes like tomorrow.... Wish me luck. Mint is supposed to be healthy and aid digestion, I was happy to read that.

Alright I've shaken it well and tried it on salmon, cod, beef and actually I found it quite weak, there was very little mint coming through, no cucumber, just plain yoghurt.

I wasn't sure why the reviews were so positive but then I put it on some chicken pakoras and somehow that made a huge difference.

It's not spicy but it really compliments it and leaves it less dry. It tastes more hearty.

I'm not sure why that is, most people were saying it's versatile on dishes but I don't agree.

I can't believe I'm saying this but it probably would have been nicer, with a tiny pepper kick...

One last thing. I have found that the mint is better distributed throughout the bottle when shaken each time, before usage.

The brand is Crucials and it cost £1.50 for a 500ml bottle.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D