Monday 25 March 2024

#BlogLife661 - Fiverr - Cheap by name and nature

I can finally exhale now that the blog has had it's final alterations. I responded to an advert on Fiverr, a marketplace for humans selling web services.

This particular person had glowing reviews and was responsive so I thought great, the price was £32.74 altogether.

I wanted an image replacement on the theme/template, whatever you want to call it.

I wanted the title and description to have a clear colour and be readable to visitors.

I wanted the side bar menus to be a darker colour so that no-one had to squint anymore to peruse them.

I have no coding knowledge but I've looked certain things up beforehand and it all seems easy enough to accomplish for someone skilled in that area.

I'm glad that Paypal payments were an option. I rarely use my card if I can help it.

I explained my needs and the person had 24 hours to complete these simple changes.

If it's me, as soon as I am paid, I would get started and get enthusiastic about a project and give it my all, and then some.

They waited until close to the deadline, just under an hour and a half, while I was freaking out and stressing that I had wasted my money.

I feel they did the absolute bare minimum and called it accomplished.

I would be thoroughly ashamed of myself, if that was me. Where is your pride in your work??

I wasn't happy so I requested that the title and description be legible, which seemed self explanatory really.

Plus the fact that I paid extra! That was more or less completed but I'm not entirely satisfied.

I wanted the title to be in a different font style and the popular posts to be in a darker shade but for now I'm done.

However the whole experience was so draining, making that person an admin on my blog and giving them permission to do what needed to be done.

As someone that doesn't like to relinquish control, it was tough and aggravating to wait and wait and wait.

Unfortunately instead of being able to relax and smile that, the blog was finally in the hands of a professional, I felt sick to my stomach and foolish that I had handed money over to a stranger, that treated me as an afterthought.

I didn't feel valued. I felt like I had to babysit them. I had to keep checking the front page of the blog and seeing no progress made.

On the plus side, the picture fits my insomnia theme and that is why I chose it, similar to my twitter image.

They did do the work I commissioned for them and I feel better about my homepage but I can't escape this disgusted feeling..

Of being promised an ethical person and being a delivered a charlatan. I know that sounds harsh, when I'm partially satisfied but the stress was unbearable.

And what really sickened me was that the person at first gave themselves kudos, with a pat on the back, contribution note on my blog, without my permission and when the work was hastily unfinished. Ick!!

They subsequently removed it themselves but that just annoyed me even more. Doing the least amount of work and slapping yourself on the back, giving yourself praise? Yuck!

I love the colour purple and I didn't have to compromise and choose a modern cold theme, which most do and good for them but I find them sterile.

My personal blog I want to be warm and inviting. I want us to be cosy, while we chat and read and share.

I forgot actually that I wanted to have slimmer sides and for the blog to take up most of the page but I can live with it, as it is now.

Would I recommend Fiverr or the worker? No. You have one chance to make a first impression.

If you can't be bothered to make your mark and stand out and work hard to deliver outstanding results, then I can't respect you, sorry. 

You've lost my business and any hope for a glowing review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D