Friday 25 June 2021

#BlogLife86 - End of volunteering?

This is officially my last week. It has been two months since I started volunteering and I have just been told I have options to consider.

Either I can continue being a supporter, quit altogether, or become somewhat of a mentor to others who need a friendly ear or further guidance.

I am so confused and there is a lot I have to unpack before I can make a decision.

This role took me way out of my comfort zone. I was in a safe stagnant place before and I feel I was thrust into the deep end unprepared but overall I reckon I have done amazingly well considering..

On the plus side of things...

1) I gained so much confidence and self worth by partially sharing my wisdom and life experience with others.

2) I made friends and realised that this world is now a lil less dark to me and I feel a lil less alone.

3) I have built a lot of people up to the point where they can now cope and move forwards to a brighter capable future.

4) I realised through listening to others constant self negativity. I like myself a lot and am proud of myself.

5) I can handle a lot more pressure than I thought previously.

6) I can say my peace and if disrespected further, just terminate a chat.

7) With everything I have been through in my life, I relate so much that I can make a big difference.

As for the negative side.....

1) I am laughed at times, which triggers my anger and insecurities.

2) I feel obligated to stay in chats that rile me up and disgust me.

3) I feel unsafe and like I am being hunted and forced into a trap of questions and answers.

4) I feel pushed into taking chats that are not my preference as in, the younger demographic.

5) It is emotionally draining having to listen to people in such pain.

6) It eats up a lot of time because I linger at times, when I feel someone just needs to offload and they don't feel better as yet.

People like Dr K. The real mentors, they have a way of looking outwards which is upbeat and unique.

I think it's really admirable to be that caring and dedicated. I am not like that.

I can help others and try and be there but I know I wouldn't give all my time up.

I honestly am not sure I have anything to offer.....?! Any insights that would be eye openers.

This hasn't helped at all. I am still puzzled. I guess I will ask what is expected of me and see if I am willing to meet those requirements.

In the meantime I have to eat breakfast or lunch. It is 2pmish and I've been consumed all day.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D