Thursday 7 April 2022

#BlogLife247 - Volunteer your philosophy

Unfortunately there are some volunteer sessions where I can see where it's heading and I want to back out of it but I usually persist and hope it settles down or is short or they ask for someone else.

It's the rambly type chats, where there isn't a specific issue because those tend to fire personal questions at me as though, they are the Volunteer and I'm the member.

Not really ideal for someone like me, who is reserved and careful about not sharing personal information. This one was relatively short though and I could relate to it so it wasn't too bad.

It's just a bit tiring when someone is interviewing me and in a sneaky way ascertaining whether I am qualified to handle a general conversation.

It's a tad insulting when there isn't even a particular sensitive subject matter. It was easy to keep my cool though because I was relaxed and not taking it personally.

I can understand looking for a specific person to listen to your problems but if you're not really sharing anything, I don't see why the patronising questions are coming up?

I have handled an array of highly sensitive matters. Those people didn't give me the third degree, they were just immensely grateful to have someone willing to support them.

I'm happy to lend my time but some members are either using this service for the wrong reason to have a chitchat or they are confusing us with paid professionally trained therapists, which we are not.

There was some empathetic training involved but we are not present to make life changing deductions. As I've said before some things I can't relate to, never been married, don't have kids etc but I can still be there for someone who feels isolated and overwhelmed.

If you consider yourself that highly and prefer a much grander knowledgeable interaction, then stop being a damn cheapskate and pay for a licenced counsellor that can give you what you need.

I just think these people are a tad delusional and don't have what I consider deep rooted problems. I can be present but if you're continuing to talk around the houses and not discuss anything significant, isn't that wasting both our time?

The truly vulnerable I don't have an issue with coaxing out the details because I know they will eventually get to it. If you are curious about what types of chat I've taken......

Without breaking confidentiality, here it is in a general way...

Bullying

Sexual/Verbal Abuse

Work/Study Productivity

Suicide

Self Harm

Loneliness

Infidelity

Relationship Issues

PTSD

Grief

Eating Disorders

Body Image

Self Esteem

There are probably more but you get the gist of what I cover now and can see why, some chats are highly charged and draining and others are routine.

I admit I favour the problem-related chats more highly because there's a fixed subject and I know how I can offer guidance or care when needed.

Also those chats aren't firing questions at me, they are too emotionally raw to nitpick. I hope that gives you a better understanding and maybe you can understand me a bit better.

I don't claim to be a saint, unless I'm messing around so as someone that has to have their own back and prop myself up on a daily basis due to physical/emotional pain, this is why my patience wears thin and I feel irked.

I do love volunteering but within the parameters that I'm comfortable with. Just because I'm helping others, it doesn't mean I have to serve myself up to be scrutinised or disrespected.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D