Friday 12 August 2022

#BookLife8 - I hate my fiancee (fiction) unfinished

Prologue

Her name was Coco but I called her Cuckoo. She wasn't the prettiest woman in the world but she might as well have been.

Try as I might, I couldn't avoid her. She didn't like any of things I did and I certainly had no interest in her quirky hobbies.

This was a fiasco but this marriage of convenience would only last six months to a year and then I could dismantle it and never see her again.

That thought should bring me joy but I wasn't smiling. I had known her since childhood, we didn't travel in the same circles but we were aware of each other.

I was Mr Popular, outgoing and an organiser of many events, where she was a bookworm, completely anti social and should have been a frump with those thick unsightly glasses.

Her hazel eyes however always hypnotised me. I watched her grow from a distance and then put her out of my mind forever.

Then two years ago she returned and we reconnected and started dating. Then got engaged.

We started a business together. Cupid Connections. We vetted each member carefully and did background checks and got endorsed by various companies.

But the harder we worked, the more the relationship suffered until we hit a breaking point both professionally and personally.

Everyone assumed we were married and now to save our business, we had to get hitched and go on a promotional tour.

The only thing I wanted to do was ditch her and date someone else but we had both invested our life savings and I had to be practical.

The new investors (our families, were calling the shots and they would only bail us out on the proviso we give the relationship a proper chance).

Chapter 1

"You're late Cu-Coco." I grimaced. "Call that name once more and see what happens to you."

Fabian smirked. "Always so easy to rile up and totally hot when you're mad."

He reached out to touch my cheek but I swatted it away impatiently.

"Cut it out, let's just order and decide what we are going to do once and for all."

"We both know what happened to us. We took each other for granted and let the romance die. Turned into friends, rather than passionate lovers."

I nodded, unable to disagree. "We have several options." Firstly we could go through with this cockamamie scheme our well meaning but interfering parents have cooked up.

We both shook our heads. "Secondly we could file for bankruptcy, admit we failed and couldn't hack it in the real world, move back home and go into the family businesses."

Our eyes met as we said in unison. "I can't do that." I bit my lip as he said the last choice.

"What if we have a sham marriage, go through with it and make it seem like we are trying to strengthen our relationship but instead date other people?"

I felt queasy. I was over him but the thought of moving on for real seemed scary and I'm not sure I was ready.

"Isn't that misleading everyone? Could you/we really lie to our families?"

"They already warned us about the consequences. They would disinherit and kick us out of the family."

"Look I don't care about the money but I draw the line and not being able to speak to them."

Fabian took my hand. "Firstly drama queen it's not going to come to that. It's just idle threats."

"Secondly nobody will find out, we'll keep it just between us but even if they did realise. Nobody could resist those hazel eyes of yours, trust me I know."

I blushed Fabian could still turn on the charm when he wanted to but it was still a big step and my stomach was in knots.

Chapter 2

"Fine a farce of a marriage it is but you better be discreet with your extra maritals before the world finds out we are playing at happy families!"

"You're not planning on seeing anyone? Not over me yet huh? I don't blame you."

I rolled my eyes and wanted to choke the grin right out of his conceited face.

"Look Romeo I just want to get this catastrophe over and done with and get on with my life as an eligible bachelorette."

"I've had multiple offers during the time we were together and since our breakup but unlike you guys who jump from woman to woman without an emotional break and closure.."

"I just want some time being single and free again. I'll still date occasionally, it just won't be a priority."

"Just stay away from my friends." I grinned. "Don't talk to me, tell them that. Two have already approached me for dates."

Suddenly Fabian looked annoyed and a lot less smug.

Chapter 3

I covered my face that was chortling in utter satisfaction. His arrogance was unattractive but revenge was always delicious and he was a good sport actually.

"Alright on a serious note, we both have to agree not to date each others mates, deal?"

"Uh huh, that's tasteless." I couldn't recall the last time we had hung out like this, being mostly civil and not at each others throats.

"How are we going to do this and make it seem legitimate? You know how closely they'll be watching us for any signs of deception."

Fabian pondered. "Yea you're right, we have to be extra careful, which means a hell of a lot of pda whoop. Let's start practicing now."

"Get away from me. Why did I ever think talking to you was a good idea? All you can think about is sex, sex and more sex. Yeesh!"

"You're such a prude, lighten up, I was half kidding but if we are serious about this arrangement, There has to be some real affection, you can't keep scowling at me."

I sighed he was right unfortunately but the thought of cosying up to him made me queasy. We didn't have a traditional breakup, a lot of things were left unsaid and I didn't want to revisit it.

"Okay but you have to respect my wishes, meaning no pawing at me. Just kisses on the cheek and if we must, some tame hand holding."

Fabian scoffed. "It hardly seems worth it. Then he waggled his eyebrows. "What about your wifely duties?" I rolled my eyes.

"Will you grow up? This is difficult enough. I don't want to spend anymore time with you than is necessary."

"Hah! Don't worry Cuckoo I feel the same way. The sooner we get it over with and separate the better."

I got up having lost my appetite. "Bye Fab." I don't know why I just used his old nickname. Crikey this was already getting to familiar.

I hurried out and jumped on a bus. The less time we spent together the better.

She called me Fab. "My plan seems to be working. Outwardly I was against this marriage but I was the one that had come up with this scheme to win her back, she just didn't know it.

To be continued



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D