Thursday 29 September 2022

#BlogLife363 - Retro gaming

What activities did you play as a family growing up?? For us it was a variety of interests.

Dominoes, card games, board games like Monopoly and scrabble was my favourite.

We were competitive but not really trash talkers. It was more sorta gloaty... Oooh I've got a good hand or ha you landed on my Mayfair hotels.

I think there was even a bit of tennis and badminton but although it was kinda fun getting to hit it back or trying to serve. I wasn't sporty as I had no depth perception at all.

Whenever the ball came near me I flinched as it was a missile blur coming for me. There were quite a few swimming trips but again I hated removing my glasses or lenses and not being able to see.

I think it was a safety thing for me. What if there was an emergency and I got trampled upon as I wouldn't know where to head towards or what if I tripped?

It just got too uncomfortable and I remember the girls at school complaining I wasn't aggressive enough in the sports team events and the gym teacher pulled me aside.

I explained that I could not see the ball coming straight at me so I ducked to avoid getting hurt and they were so astonished that they pulled me out of all team sports and let me lounge around haha.

I will say the good thing about having bad eyes is you can use it to your advantage. I was already getting pulled out of classes to check on my vision, if I could see the blackboard and understand the handwriting etc.

I never could truth be told, it was joined up and tiny squiggly writing. They passed it on and I sat at the front and it made no difference lol.

I recall the tutors being exasperated but I just shrugged. I don't even think they made the effort to make it bigger or anymore legible anyway so I kept telling the same thing, sorry can't read it.

In the end I copied from a friends notes. The only other active things we did together was ice skating, I remember that being fun but if I fell I always curled my hand up.

I was petrified of someone skating over my fingers ughhh! It never happened but it could have. I always scrambled to my feet and watched the professionals thinking I wonder if I could be that flexible?

Ugh still waiting for the maintenance guy so much for getting up at 7 in case they came early.

It's now 11amish. Two hours wait remaining.. 

Later on it was pool or snooker but the games took longer and longer and the interest waned. 

Computer wise Commodore 64 was my first console and I was addicted to Wonder Boy, Paper Boy, Ghostbusters, Chuckie Egg and 1943.
 
All the family used to take turns on game night. Do you recall draughts and snakes and ladders?

There were so many faddy games. It's funny how each family has certain rules for certain games so you play it both ways and thrash them when the tables are turned (evil cackle)!

Then it was either Atari or Nintendo. Mario Kart and I can't remember if Zelda was on it or just on the Gameboy/Gamegirl.

I only remember one cheat where you could steal bombs I think to accumulate them but you died and had to restart.

Gosh they used to ache my hands and that was the cue to chuck the controller to someone else and say take over.

You're probably wondering why I#m talking about this subject and I think it's because those were happier times and it randomly popped into my head.

I always found after a stressful day, gaming could make me feel lighter and now with the stories and chronic pain, there is even more reason to switch off and chill out.

If I can find a racing game with beautiful scenery where I don't have to constantly tap the screen, as in it auto steers and it has bends and you can play it offline in 1 to 1 races..

Plus has freebies and teams and it doesn't take years to advance, then I would be a happy bunny.

I've tried CSR 2, too hard to get anywhere without cash, Asphalt 8 wouldn't even open pfft.

Horizon Chase was a money pit and Mario Kart Tour had appalling steering and these are supposed to be highly rated recommendations.. 

Not in opinion they're not. If I find something suitable I'll let you know. Oof it's nearly 12pm, where did the time vanish??


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D