Friday 7 October 2022

#BlogLife369 - Bye bye boiler

I thought slipping into fresh new sheets would have sent me off into an immediate slumber. At 9pmish I was yawning nonstop and my eyes were closing.

However by the time I finally went to bed because the phones were charging really slowly it was midnight and I just could not relax.

My duvet felt really heavy and smothering. I thought I would be cosy but I was stifled and warm.

I was just fretting about having a strange maintenance man coming and going all day, knowing that I have to leave the door on the latch as he would be in and out.

I don't trust the neighbours so everytime he walks back in, I'm thinking is that really him or has another stranger invaded my home?

I got 2 hours sleep. I think at 5am I drifted off and I didn't want to get up at 7am at all but I did and that hour went soo fast.

The frustrating thing was the bathroom floors I thought were practically spotless and dry have streaks, puddles and footprints still.

Plus I forget about the tub that didn't get the mini wipe down it needed. I wanted to go over it but he arrived so I couldn't.

I wasn't even thinking about the cold air. I didn't put the heating to warm up the place as it didn't seem safe to do so.

The first thing he did was open the window/door so it was freezing. That is the first time I left the heating blankie on full for the whole time.

Also the snack pack is still in the kitchen grr. I just didn't get the chance to grab drinks and the snacks I packed.

Maybe if he goes out for lunch I can grab it then and re-lock the door until he returns as I skipped dinner last night.

Although I'm still not peckish, I wouldn't mind a beverage. I'm kinda gutted it's a different person to the one that did the earlier assessment. 

This one seems a lil frosty. I asked him about arranging the thermostat so that I didn't need to touch the boiler and he said it can't be done.

I don't think he understood what I mean't. The boiler is high up with tiny digital readings and I can't see or reach it so I never touch it.

All I do is rotate the thermostat dial and boom, the heat and hot water get going. I don't even switch it from winter to summer, I let them do that on their check up visits.

I'm nervous it might be tricky to use, the last one was so simple, once you didn't turn it too much and switch it back off, which I didn't tend to do.

Hmm I'm not impressed that he has been on the phone nonstop since he arrived either.

It's a long bloody job, get a move on! The sooner you leave, the faster I can relax and take a breath.

I want to nap but I still feel unnerved about him barging into my room, if he needs something.

(He called out and didn't enter, which I am thankful for, he waited until I came out).

None of my rooms have locks and I didn't mind that, except for these times. At least so far I have wifi so that's handy.

Ooh at 3pm he was all done. Seven hours later! He did somewhat clean up after himself but the floors are also a lil filthy now and need re-doing.

I have to write this down before I forget it. It automatically shuts off after reaching the desired temperature.

the top number has to be higher than the bottom. Oh crap or is it the other way around.

Man it's so complicated having to bend down to squint to read the tiny face.

The flame means the.. Oh ffs. I have no frigging idea. He said it so fast and I was already getting muddled.

I literally wanted to run and get a notepad and take notes but I felt embarrassed.

I really miss my lil dial. All it needed was turning and now I have to figure this monstrosity out.

With a display light that auto switches off after two seconds argh!! He did give me his card in case of emergencies or problems though.

Oh I remembered he said the big number was the room temperature and he said he kept his at 22.

I just have to get used to it. It does look better, more professional, the last one chipped half the wall and didn't bother fixing it.

It's going to be weird not switching it off after a few hours. This morning I was fiddling with it and nothing seemed to be happening and I thought Oh no!

What if I can't use it and then the boiler breaks and I have no hot water or heat and my brain was escalating..

Then I thought calm down, put your lenses on and have another go but I noticed that the radiators were crackling to life and heating up the room so pushing the arrow up, did seem to work.

I just don't know if the automatic switch off is saving money or costing me? Before I knew what the low setting was and now I don't.

I used to leave it on for a while and take it off, knowing it wasn't on for long and that I was spending minimally but enough that I was warm and had enough hot water.

Now that it is all different and it stays on until it's the set up temperature, isn't that going to be on for a longer time?

Plus what if it's a freezing day and just as it gets warm, it switches off? I guess I just set it higher.....

Hmm. It will be a case of trial and error. The nice thing is that the engineer who put it in, called me and asked how everything was.

I explained that I was still unsure about the details and he offered to visit me next week to go through it again.

I thought that was really kind, both the call and taking the time to visit, not many people would do that.

He must have thought I was such a dope because I don't know why I can't get the specifics to stick in my mind.

To his credit, he did go over it a few times but my head was frazzled and overwhelmed and nothing processed at all.

I thought the best thing would be for him to email me the instructions and he agreed. The only thing is, I didn't give him my email address. Ughhhhhh

Oh I just worked it out if the flame wasn't on and the heating is, that means the flame is for the hot water, unless the flame came on but I didn't see it, but I don't think so..

I'll have to run the hot tap to confirm as this morning it was cold. Hmm I am just going around in circles.

The hot water is now on. I am none the wiser! It is sooo tricky to see the tiny monitor.

I guess I'll figure it out when the hot water runs out. At least the only thing I have to adjust is the up arrow button.

I have no idea, what on earth the other buttons for, there are three of them!

I'm just relieved I don't have to bother with the boiler itself, just like the previous version I can regulate it by the thermostat.

He just said if there is a gas leak or any issues switch off the boiler via the switch next to it.

That finally wraps up the boiler saga!

*Update* 

Except that I'm going to have to be careful. The temperature didn't drop during the day and I didn't have to push the arrow button up.

However by the evening I assumed it was off but I felt the radiators and they were still a lil hot and only by manually pushing the down arrow did it finally disconnect.

Why it didn't turn off by itself I have no idea. At least it felt fairly low and wasn't boiling so a few taps either way should be fine.

I really have to look for the flame though, otherwise it will be a low pressure situation and it will become problematic and develop a serious issue.

I'm getting frustrated now. I pushed the arrow up as he didn't mention using any other button and I didn't see a flame so I have no clue how to put it on.

Next week I'll text him my email and ask again for the written instructions so that I can reference them at any time.

It's irritating me that there is no manual for such an important item, with lots of different settings.

I love how they think I should automatically remember everything and it's like they are thinking.... Silly lil woman, don't worry the big man will come rescue you.

There there! That's why I want it written!!!! So that I don't have to ask you again and again, what to do.

Youtube to the rescue. I saw my model and an instructions guide and now I see the flame and the heating/hot water is finally coming on I hope.

There is a manual and automatic setting I had no idea about. The first bottom button is for the settings menu, the second is to switch from automatic to manual.

The third button is an on and off switch. It seemed like once I pressed a few of the bottom buttons and raised and lowered the temperature by the up and down arrows..

I finally saw the flame and I can hear the radiators hissing to life. The taps had a tiny bit of hot water but it was dwindling.

It was freezing also. That is one less thing to worry about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D