Wednesday 12 October 2022

#BlogLife372 - Let's make a toast(ie)

I've consciously been eating less carbs, I mean still the same amount of pasta and rice but less bread but at the moment, it's really chilly as winter is settling in and I fancied toasties.

I have my trusty unadventurous panini press which only gets used for cheese toasties usually.

I've done baguettes and paninis and bagels but I think my favourite is good old fashioned toast.

I decided to shake things up and bought beef, chicken and cheese to make various fillings and thought I would try eggs for the first time.

Ummm it did not go well. I tried to get the smallest eggs possible but they only had medium and free range seems to be the healthiest so that was the choice for me.

Except Iceland ran out of wholemeal bread, so no bread. I'll pick some up Monday.

I had an inkling so I also bought wholemeal rolls. I cracked the egg but it took a few other whacks and saw a video that recommended turning it so the crack is on the top and less shell will fall.

No shell debris but the egg just rolled off the roll lmao. I pressed in the bun but it's a slippery sucker and I was just laughing so hard.

I ended up just mopping the roll with the egg mixture (I'm not going to waste it). 

Then I poured the remainder straight onto the roll sitting on top of the press, which again..... To my horror........

Slipped right into the press lol. Again I dabbed what I could and put some cheese on one side of the roll but most of the concoction is now caked on to my press.

It's mocking me I tell you!! I'm waiting for it to dry so I can clean it off.

I'm cooking some beef burgers to add to it but that was traumatic lol.

I don't have the non stick oil spray as I don't cook messy foods on it usually.

This is why I stick to easy foods and not anything complicated as it goes wrong.

I could have just placed the egg straight onto the press but it gets flat and squishy. I didn't want that but that's what happened anyway.. I know I know..

On the plus side it cooked really quickly. I left it at least for a few minutes but it was definitely done.

It also didn't smoke, crackle and hiss as much as I expected either. I'm gonna put it together as the burgers should be done and watch the rest of Chicken Run....

I've not seen the sequel. It's a shame they didn't want Julia aka Ginger the title lead to reprise her voice actress role.

What made me think I was suddenly going to turn into a competent cheffy overnight?

I've cleaned the press and it was actually quite easy with water and a kitchen towel. I don't think you're supposed to add washing up liquid but I did to disinfect it. Just an eensy diluted bit.

Alright mayhem aside, it's actually really delicious. I'm too embarrassed to upload a picture, maybe if I do something more presentable and that turns out accurately.....Then but it's yummier than usual.

The egg makes it. To correct my mistake some cut the middle of the bread out and pour the egg inside to detract from leaks.

I think I'll just do it directly onto the pre-heated press but next time to avoid it being toooo thin. I'll just double up!

Ooh I had a brainwave, those cookie cutter shapes would make the egg stay in place. I just have to get one that isn't plastic.

Alright well my egg rings arrived today as well as my cleaning solutions so I thought let's finish up this post, in the right way..

Except in true fashion, I messed up again! You're getting used to this by now right? Well I am a trial and error person so learn from my mistakes :)

After I washed the egg rings, I placed them on the heated Press. The egg seem to overspill on one of them so once again, an eggy mess on the Press.

But it looked like it was working well but I started to smell it burning so I decided to prematurely remove the rings to flip it over to cook evenly....

Hmm I probably should have waited longer as it fell apart and flattened out ugh!

What can you do? I replaced the rings and cracked two more eggs? Am I getting to be an expert? No lol.

This time I totally just left the ring and closed the Press lid for both sides to cook.

This technique worked better, although the overspilled egg had less and the normal one looked round and thicker.

I've just waiting for the meat to cook and then it'll be done.

On to the Special K crunchy oat granola review. I used to buy Jordan's fruity crunchy oats I think it had nuts, berries, coconut (which I wasn't a fan of and it was delicious.

I tried it with milk but having it with yoghurt was much tastier. The berries were soft, chewy and never tasted stale or over sweetened.

I love berries as you can tell by my Vimto fixation so I thought this would be a good thing to try. 

It was half price at £1.50 so this was the best time to sample it. The oats are tasty and indeed crunchy.

It's just the right blend, not too sweet and surprisingly big clumps actually.

The berries were what I was most excited about. I don't think I'll buy yoghurt I'll just randomly snack on these when peckish.

It's freeze dried fruits and omg they are nasty!! It leaves the tangiest, most bitter taste and aftertaste.

It's totally ruined the oats. I would happily munch them but I am binning the berries, it is that bad!!

What were Special K thinking? Yuckkkk! I wouldn't recommend it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D