Saturday 4 February 2017

The uncertainty in writing

The idea for a book just seemed so simple and straightforward but the more I write the more complex it becomes, which scares me really because what if I can't do it justice?

I tried to write a book before on several occasions but it just never felt right. I was writing about things I had no clue about and my characters just felt alien to me.

That's why I couldn't get into it and abandoned it but I kept trying to reinvent it without success, so I gave up on the book idea until now.

This time around I wasn't even thinking about writing but a friend asked me to do a collaboration with him. He had a great writing technique but I hated his main character.

Nonetheless joining forces with someone sounded like an easier proposition than trying to write by myself so I agreed. 

He told me to come up with a few ideas and I did but he rejected most of them saying they were unappealing and contrived.

I however loved one of my ideas so much that it began to grow and develop and I thought to myself..

I don't need someone being critical when it seems they are doing nothing at all except being negative, so I broke away and started to concentrate on my own story and that's when it was formed.

I now can get my teeth into my story and characters and they are alive to me. I never had that before and I actually like doing my own thing and going with my gut instincts regarding storylines and character development. 

Writing a book is new to me though so it is stressful at times. I try to include about 600-800 words per chapter and that to me feels just right. Not too long or short.

Writing male characters will definitely be a challenge because I'm used to writing about females only but I shall try to do them justice in my own unique way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something on your mind? I am all ears, I mean eyes and l will get back to you inbetween rants :D